Wednesday, June 3, 2020

The Six of Hearts-The Dry Martini

The Dry Martini, the classic drink.  Simple and elegant yet misunderstood.

The original was the Martinez cocktail from 1887 that evolved in to the three note drink of today.   I prefer them bone dry, that is little to no vermouth, and stirred because if its too cold you don't get the full favor.

But today I used the recipe on the card.   1 1/3 oz of gin and 1/3 oz of vermouth.   Shaken and garnished with an olive or lemon twist.   It's not my thing, the vermouth overwhelms the gin and I am not able to make a lemon twist.   I'll finish it but I won't use these ratios for my next cocktail

Variations: To make a sweet martini substitute sweet vermouth for the dry  To make a vodka martini substitute vodka for the gin. To make a Gibson substitute a cocktail onion for the olive


Oh and while we're on the subject of martinis, just because its served in a cocktail glass does not mean its a martini or -tini.    You're drinking a cocktail be it apple, ginger, or mint chocolates.  There are not in anyway related to the martini.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate all messages, so please be paitient and if you didn't leave your name then I won't post your comment.