Sunday, January 27, 2013

#42 Barbary Coast Cocktail

Welcome back!

Now first I need a small favor, it won't cost anyone any money and it will make a lot of people happy.  If you read my posts, share them on Facebook  twitter or what have you.    OK, so I did fib about making a lot of people happy but increased readership will make me happy.  Now on two the drink....

It's my best guess that this drink wasn't named after the southern Mediterranean coast that the US fought two  wars during Jefferson's and Madison's Presidencies, made famous in the Marines' Hymn.   (The bit about the shores of Tripoli, for those who don't know)

I think it was named after a redlight district in San Francisco in the 1850s.  Full of gambling, prostitution  rime, gambling and other vices.  The earthquake of 1906 destroyed most of it and then what was left  was cleaned out in 1917.

Barbary Coast Cocktail

1/2 oz Dry Gin
1/2 oz Imported Rum
1/2 oz Creme de Cacao
1/2 oz Scotch
1/2 oz Sweet Cream

Shake well wit cracked ice and strain into a 4 oz cocktail glass.

Pouring the white and frothy mixture into the glass it I smell the gin and scotch but nothing else.   As for the taste, let me put it to you this way.  Have you ever just placed your palm on the keys of a piano?  It creates notes but no harmony, just like the taste of this drink.   I say avoid this one.

Next up:  #43 Baron Cocktail

2 comments:

  1. Matt, the palm down on the piano keys is called a tone cluster. As an aficianado of scotch I have to wonder what variety the drink's creator was using. Likewise there is such variety in various rums. No matter what combination I imagine this just seems awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I currently use Cutty Sark as my Scotch and Ronrico as my Rum. I know I should use better but I have a mortgage to pay.

      Delete

I moderate all messages, so please be paitient and if you didn't leave your name then I won't post your comment.